Abundant Life Texoma
Abundant Life Texoma was organized as the Durant First Pentecostal Holiness Church in 1939 by Lee Hargis and J.B. Woodard with nine charter members. The first church facility was a tent and "tent" pastors included Virgil Gaither and Raymond Bullard.
In 1942, the "Rock" church was built at the intersection of First Street and Liveoak Street. "Rock" pastors included Marvin Hamm, Alvin Smith, Garland Garrison, David Thurmand, and Arthur Smith.
The present facility was completed in 1963 and "Abundant Life Temple" was born. Former pastors included Edgar Gourd, Ray Stewart, Ed Philpot, Randell Drake, Douglas Lott II, Jim Zenger, Timothy Cox, and Chuck Barrineau.
Dr. Mark Allen came to ALT in December of 2019.
From the time of Pastor Gourd, the congregation increased in numbers. A "Prayer Band" was formed and is functional to the present day. A great emphasis was placed on prayer with prayer warriors staying around the altars as people came to be prayed for. During Pastor Gourd's term, the church burned destroying almost everything. Services were held in Durant City Hall until the church was rebuilt. At this time a new building, known as "The Annex," was added to the church as a fellowship hall.
Pastor Ed Philpot became pastor at ALT in February 1967. He immediately got involved in the community becoming involved in community organizations and meeting city leaders. He also insisted that ALT begin to organize Sunday School classes for all ages and then later - after hiring a Music Director - had graded choirs for the youth and children. The first choir robes were purchased from the Waxahachie Bible College - the purple iridescent with gold satin collars - $5.00 each!
Also during Pastor Philpot's tenure, Teen Talent (now know as Fine Arts) became a part of the norm for ALT with many youth and children being involved with talent. These activities were some of the best ways that the church grew during this time. People were especially interested if their child was participating in activities. Other events included Easter and Christmas Musicals/Plays and children's plays in the fall of the year. Reverend Randell O. Drake was hired as Music Director while Pastor Philpot was pastoring ALT and was a big part of keeping the choirs, plays, muiscals, and many other things going. When Pastor Philpot retired, Randell Drake was voted in as pastor in 1991 and continued the work Pastor Philpot had begun. During Pastor Philpot's tenure he served as a Conference Board Member. The children and teens were very active in conference youth camps, retreats, and Talent competitions.
Bell Choirs also became a hit as ALT was one of the first churches in this area to incorporate them. They played for various community events along with competing and winning in many Teen Talent competitions.
In 1986, ALT added the Gladys Darrah Chapel to the church facility. The chapel is now used by the youth each Wednesday night. Abundant Life Texoma has been known for its great youth groups over the years, with many members continuing in ministry following graduation from high school and college.
In 1996, an addition to the front of the sanctuary was constructed giving more seating space, extra classrooms, new restrooms, and a new nursery to the building.
In 2015 the church's name was changed from Abundant Life Temple to Abundant Life Texoma to reflect our vision for reaching as many people as we can for Christ in the Texoma region. A massive renovation project was completed and the church as relaunched with a fresh new approach under Pastor Chuck Barrineau.
Abundant Life Texoma is currently under the vision and direction of Pastor Mark Allen.